Friday, February 4, 2011

Learning to read with purpose

I have always enjoyed reading widely.  Unfortunately (a) my busy lifestyle in responsible positions and (b) my other love of watching sport on TV (often as a means of relaxation), and (c) lack of self-discipline has meant that I have probably not benefited as much as I could from this past time - particularly the more serious tomes.

Since commencing retirement from full-time senior management, I have been determined to read more widely - and after 5 months I have been doing quite well.  I have read a few novels and read/partly read many more non-fiction titles.  It is a chance to read for enjoyment and also to bring together some of the thinking that has impacted on me over the years.

This little post declares my intention to try and wring more benefit from this activity by:

(a) trying not to have too many books on the go at once but to actually finish some of them!
(b) to write a reflection on each book that I read with an emphasis on how it has affected me.

In terms of (b), I would not describe what I am doing as a book 'review' - lots of other people will have read the books I get into and will have done a far better job of it.  When I find one of these that I think is particularly helpful my intention is to reference it.  My focus will be on how the book has impacted on me and why I would/would not recommend it to friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment