Tuesday, February 1, 2011

"The Bible of Training"

Recently I attended a Certificate IV Training and Assessment Course during which the trainer, referring to a particular VET website commented, "This will become your bible of training."



It made me think what she meant by this.  Was she saying the the website was comprehensive and extensive?  Was she saying that it was reliable? Was she saying it was authoratative?  I am sure she was not saying that it was inerrant!

I assume that she was meaning the latter - reliable and authoratative.  I could not help thinking that the 'new athiests' - Dawkins, Hitchens et. al. - would not use such an expression given that they would not regard the Bible has having any authority over them let alone reliability since they would, I assume, claim that it is full of contradictions.

It is interesting though that this expression is used so widely in common parlance without, one suspects, a clear understanding or commitment to the implications of what is being said!

No comments:

Post a Comment